Friday, April 22, 2011

new branch of focus

I have recently felt a little off quilter – from finishing my thesis to getting rejected by around 10 potential jobs – I was unsure of what to do with myself after graduation.  Then, I had a disagreement with some friends about next year.  They were pressuring me to figure out what I am doing. I explained that it has nothing to do with not wanting to live with them, it is that I have not yet secured a job and I cannot move somewhere if I do not have something solid to do.

So, in normal fashion, I burrowed myself away in my little cave.  I emerged today after getting some substantial sleep and spoke with my thesis advisor, Joseph M. Siry about what I should do with myself.  His reaction to my thesis was one of support – he is encouraging me to go to graduate school as soon as possible.  He knows that what I want to do requires me to go to some place where I could get connected into urban planning or urban design.  I thought that I would not be going to graduate school for at least 5 years, but maybe it will be sooner.  I would need to be in a city though. I can't do the whole Middletown thing again.  I need to be in the world, instead of locked in my brain.

He also encouraged me to NOT go to New York City.  This was very surprising to me because most professors out here on the east coast tell you to stay out here because there are the most opportunities.  However, Siry does not believe in all of that.  He believes that Manhattan kills souls and takes the life out of otherwise bright students.  It was nice to hear this because I have always sensed it and the place kind of scares me, in how expensive it is and the air quality.  It is pretty much like breathing car exhaust all of the time.

Anyways, good things to keep in mind for my life, as I try and start to make one outside of school.  For today, San Francisco sounds more appealing and more in tune with my values for the type of existence I hope to live.  I just want to be . . . and write.


Black Light Dinner Party "Older Together" from dreambear on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment