Many fascinating and quite relevant things have happened since the last time I wrote a post. My two internships are going nicely. I am adjusting to the 9 to 5 lifestyle, plus adding in some night time events at the centers. It is amazing how things just work sometimes. I came home in May having no internship and no idea what to do with myself this summer. Now, I am busy every day and completely immersed in urban life.
As front desk ambassador and the intern leader for the Fix Muni Now campaign, I have gotten to know SPUR (San Francisco Planning and Urban Research) really quickly. As the development/outreach intern at Root Division, I can write one mean grant. In sum, both of my internships require dealing with people - so I am much more comfortable working the front door. Maybe I can get hired one day to be a professional door greeting person?! I hear that there is always a demand for doors, so it should follow that they need greeters to compliment them. Sure, of course.
On June 3, SPUR had its annual All-Member Party!

Having only been there about a week and a half, it sure was fun to be able to go to this huge 'in house' block party. I felt like one of the SPUR members, even as an intern. My favorite part was when all of the interns and volunteers went upstairs with the staff, popped some champagne, toasted our success and had a balcony/roof party on the top floor. It reminded me that, "oh, this is summer!" I just love how the city looks at night with its sparkling lights and shiny architecture.
The Urban Center is also an area that displays exhibits on the first floor, where my lovely desk is. The Center gets a surprising amount of people that walk in, so I have learned to docent the show called '49 Cities.'
It is an abstract show that depicts utopian versions of urban areas from Rome to the 20th century. Some are modeled from already established cities, while others are completely utopias. The show lasts until June 18.

On June 4, I went to the San Francisco Arts Commission opening Now & When. It is an interesting show about time and time capsules. Most of media forms captures time and it portray it in a specific way, so the artists explore that topic through images and film.
It was almost an SFAI orgy in there. To these kids, Margaret Tedesco is like crack - they just can never get enough and they will follow it everywhere. Needless to say, I said hello to like the one person I know from SFAI, and then went to hide behind the security of my parents.
I also helped out for the Auto-Manic show at Root Division on June 12, which was a part of Root Division's 2nd Saturday exhibits. It was a show that explored our relationship to cars and transportation. This show was particularly interesting to me because I have been spending so much time researching and working on a transportation campaign. Streets have consumed me, along with google docs, which I cannot seem to get away from in the work place.
It has been a crazy, exciting and cool time so far. I have had some interesting experiences and have talked to some amazing people in San Francisco. So, I am going to start a new section of my blog called Conversations. It will be a summary and feel for the conversations that I have had with some interesting artists, writers, and architects that I have been blessed with being able to meet.
Look for more on Conversations and updates on art and architecture explorations in the Bay Area.


No comments:
Post a Comment