Saturday, March 26, 2011

further thoughts on the process

My thesis is due on April 12 at 4pm.  I have been working and thinking about this project for over a year now.  Today at brunch with a great, new friend I was asked about my thoughts on the process of writing a thesis.  She is currently a junior at Wesleyan, seriously considering a thesis.  It was nice to be asked this question because I have given this topic a lot of thought - mostly because of my thesis advisor.  Being very aware can help at times, in that I get things done early and have the space to create a great document, but it also has driven me mad at times - late nights, self doubt, unrealistic expectations, etc.

So, I have been thinking about what the day after I turn in my thesis will look like - what a life without a huge academic document to work on will be like.  April 13 - a magical or terrifying day.  However, as it is with all things, days move and pass.  April 12 is just another day and life will go on.  But it has surprised me how many things are going on during that day after.

Here is a list of the things:

1. It is the last CSS banquet at the Middletown Inn - the end of my time with the major.  Which is definitey a celebration because it has been one tough road through the academics of Wesleyan.  Am I happy that I did it? Yes, now that it is over.  I learned a lot (and all that stuff), but it was rough and I am glad I am not going to graduate school any time soon.

2. One of my favorite poets, Yusef Komunyakaa, is coming to Wesleyan to speak.  His images are so powerful and in poetry class, I try to be like him.  I am excited to hear him speak and see the man behind the words.

3. There is a senior event at the Middletown bars.  I have done the whole "bar night" thing and find it a waste of time, but when more of the class can get together and do something off campus, I get excited. While I shouldn't care about this kind of stuff and rarely ever do, I do like to flex my social muscle every now and then, especially when I do not have lots of schoolwork hovering above my head and weighing down on my sanity.

4. It is the One Day for Design.

5. It is the deadline for finding out about a fellowship.  Yet another fellowship.  One step closer to figuring out my next step after graduation.  Only an interview, but still important.  It will also determine if I need to fly home or not for the interview, which brings with it a whole set of emotions - seeing my home, having to sell myself, going back to a place I have mixed feelings about, but then leaving as quickly as I came.


Quite a day for me, I anticipate.  But I will get there when I get there. That is all I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment