Tuesday, March 29, 2011

abstract, original

In poetry class yesterday, the whole class was asked to read and workshop my latest poem. While I have done this numerous times in different forms over the course of my four years in college, I still do not enjoy this process.  Most people didn't get it - which is probably the fault of the writer.  But it did allow me some insight into how a reader interprets the writing of another writer.  The next assignment is a prose poem, which is the day that I have been waiting for.  Unfortunately, the quality of my poem will be jeopardized as I continue to write my thesis in these last two weeks of the thesis journey.

Walking to class today, I felt an urge to pump some 90's hip hop.  As a girl from Marin, I felt like I shouldn't be doing that because what do I know about hip hop? "If hip hop is living" then what can I have to contribute?  I am from the suburbs.  I listen to jazz and enjoy hip hop that people tell me is "good", but as far as a music medium, I don't know much about it. The closest I have ever gotten to really experiencing it is through my friend from New Jersey who knows all about the great names. I have lived a different life than these guys, but I still enjoy their insight.  There can't be anything wrong about that.

Perhaps it is because I feel locked in this rural experience of living in Middletown that I need an urban fix - that being said, I have been listening to A Tribe Called Quest all day.  I forgot how meta their narratives are.  Some of their songs are almost like an advertisement for the listener to buy into their originality.  I think I prefer their earlier stuff when the group's songs were actually about something, instead of about how awesome this song is.  Try it out for yourself - I am, in fact, one person with one mind and therefore have skewed opinions often.

No comments:

Post a Comment