Sunday, January 30, 2011

narratives

So, we all have those times when we feel so strangely different than the people around us.  Last night was one of those nights.  Sure, I had some fun and was around different sorts of friends, but I felt out of place.  Which I am sure is a universal feeling, but I do know what it feels like to not feel that way.

After giving it the whole "social-try" by doing loops through parties and having conversations with people later in the night, I went home and started to write.  Narratives and the craft of telling a story has consumed me.  It is probably because my thesis advisor is Joseph Siry, who is one of the most profound thinkers I have encountered at this school, and he tends to get me in those mind sets.  But I decided to ride that wave of curiosity by exploring different narratives and how others before me have been successful with the writing technique.

I find the narrative a lot in music, such as the xx, stars and flying lotus.  Flying Lotus is a whole new type of narrative and story telling.  It is strictly abstract sounds for how to put a story together.  Which is amazing.

To begin your search for the narrative,
perhaps begin here:



The xx are minimal, which allows for the story of the lyrics to really take the place they deserve.  The music video puts it on a whole other level for me.  But that is just my experience.  Explore for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment